Friday, August 22, 2008

Naturally Unnatural

At about 10:30 this morning, my body demanded Cheez.Its and Ginger Ale. There was no resisting it, and I was, for a moment, thankful that school was cancelled today because what if that happened at school where there are no Cheez.Its or Ginger Ale? Scary thought. Anyway, I am feeling a little guilt about the Ginger Ale, and let me tell you why: High Fructose Corn Syrup. Back when I was certain that I would ("Naturally") get pregnant at any moment (you remember, like 3 years ago?) I was on a major health food kick, and I did a lot of research about the evils of High Fructose Corn Syrup. In retrospect, I don't remember the details of why it was so terrible, I just remember the process of creating it was so bizarre that I vowed to make an effort not to put it in my natural body and I was certainly not going to expose my natural baby to it.

Natural seems like such a very, very long time ago.

So now I still have this strong desire to have this "natural" experience, which seems really silly considering that my potential future child was conceived in a room where everyone was wearing sterile booties and where neither the father nor I were in the same area code. Is it retarded that I am now ruminating over corn syrup? I have, in some ways, still been good: I learned a lot about phthalates back in the day and I avoid them in products whenever I can. (Except for deodorant. Sorry people, just keepin it real here. I do chase 5-year-olds for a living, it can be a sweaty gig.) But I do see the irony in the whole thing. Or is it just me?

No comments: